Monday, April 1, 2013

Top-Stitching

I know I mention and show top-stitching a lot, but I see a lot of beginners either forgetting to top-stitch entirely, or doing a very uneven job of it.  It is one part of my sewing that I usually really try to take my time with.  Something as simple as messy top-stitching can totally change the look of a diaper (or any sewn item).  I am for sure not as detail-oriented as some of my friends, but it is something I try to take a little bit of time with.  Especially when sewing up a gift or an item for selling.

My friend Eliana uses a special foot that controls the distance of the needle from the outer edge.  I am too lazy to always be changing my feet, but I do make a visual note of where my edge aligns with my foot, and I watch that point while I am sewing to keep it consistent.  :)

Here are some detail views of one of the diapers from the previous post.



9 comments:

  1. Out of curiosity, what is the foot called?

    ReplyDelete
  2. your top stitching is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super happy to see this post :) You always show so much care. A total giving personality. Thankful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can use a blind hem foot for this, or an actual guide foot. Both will get the job done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know this. But many people don't have extra feet and do their sewing all with the one basic foot their machine comes with. I have a blind hem foot, but honestly, I am too lazy to change out my feet (other than when I need the walking foot.)

      Delete
    2. im too lazy to change my cotton somtimes .''
      .

      Delete
  5. I struggle so much with top stitching! It is really, really hard! I struggle with sewing around the curves, and with sewing straight for going around sewn in elastics. I also tend to top stitch too close to the edge I think.... How far from the edge should the top stitch be?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cure to Hsv-1&2, Robinsonbuckler11@[gmail.com]

    ReplyDelete