Tuesday, February 18, 2014

FOE Plus Cased Elastic Trainers


The templates for this style are available in both 2T-4T size and 12m-24m size.
For this option with the fold-over-elastic (FOE) along the top, cut without the dashed areas.

Start with your inner fabric (you can sew in your soaker/absorbency or make it pocket-style) and your PUL laid faces together as you do in order to turn and topstitch (T&T).  Just sew very close to the edges as shown below though, and not all the way to the edges nor secured at the back.  All the trainers have stretchy hip panels which start with 5 inch x 6 inch rectangles folded in half to be 5 inches x 3 inches.
Turn:
Fold the back sides inward. Make sure they are at least 2.5" high (to match up with the front sides).
Sew your leg elastic casings (I use 3/8" poly braided elastic):
Here the leg casings as well as the hip elastic casings are shown.
Install your leg elastic.  I leave it much looser than I would for diapers.  About half-stretched.
Top-stitch and install your FOE stretched loosely across the front.
I use a tight zig-zag and fray-check on the ends of the FOE.
Install your elastic into your hip panels.  Also not pulled very tight.

How I add the hip panels into the body:
Make sure your inner and outer fabrics line up on either side of the hip panel before pinning.
Use your top-stitching to attach the hip panel pieces.
I run a second parallel seam to strengthen.
Trim the top to line up with the back and where the front will connect as well.
This is how it should look all cleaned up so far:
Install the FOE, stretched to about 3/4 stretch, all the way across the back.
Finish off the FOE ends and add your snaps.  
You can do another set of snaps set further in on the hip panels as well.
If you chose to do a pocket, there would be a pocket opening on the inside.  ;)
Pull off and on like underwear, but can also be opened from the sides for any poopy messes!


Here is one I made with a flap-style pocket opening at the back:

Go HERE to the downloads post for an easier place to begin your cloth diaper sewing journey.  :)

13 comments:

  1. Do you think I could make any of these trainers with a prefold? In my mind I was thinking a prefold with PUL through the wet zone using your stretchy panels for the sides. Good idea? Crazy idea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally possible with the FOE version. Not so much with the cased elastic styles. ;) Just use a layer of PUL over the prefold and cut them both to fit the FOE-only version(s). You'll need a good strong needle and a reliable sewing machine to do the 3 step zig-zag through all those layers through the legs/crotch though. Let me know how it works out. :)

      Delete
    2. http://prefold2fitted.blogspot.com/2014/02/fold-over-elastic-trainers.html

      Delete
  2. Hello we are on the verge of potty training my 18m old daughter a little ambitious I know recently lost my job and buying diapers ever week is no longer an option. I Was looking for patterns and stumbled upon your blog I could use some help as I'm brand new to the whole cloth diaper thing but this is such a fantastic idea I'm psyched !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why my Google account is not linking lol swetstuffrmabv@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. I'm wondering what the blue fabric you used is, and what fabrics you recommend for feel wet and feel dry liners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A feel dry liner will be a wicking fabric. Most are mostly or all polyester(microfleece or suedecloth are popular choices. Feel wet layers are typically nagural fibers like cotton, or hemp/cotton blends of a bamboo/cotton blend. There are so many choices other than what I listed.

      Delete
    2. A feel dry liner will be a wicking fabric. Most are mostly or all polyester(microfleece or suedecloth are popular choices. Feel wet layers are typically nagural fibers like cotton, or hemp/cotton blends of a bamboo/cotton blend. There are so many choices other than what I listed.

      Delete
  4. Curious what type of fabric is being used for a trainer to make a pocket pull up trainer?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Curious what type of fabric is being used for a trainer to make a pocket pull up trainer?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wondering what lengths elastic was used cased and FOE ??? Would this fit a 2.5yr old??
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure if you'll even check this but I'm wondering how you feed the elastic through the hip panel when the other side is sewn shut? Is there a special trick or something I'm missing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why the seam doesn't go all the way to the end. I just feed the bodkin out through the end and up to the opened top and release the elastic when it reaches the end.

      Delete