Sunday, July 28, 2013

Turning a Flip into an Elemental

I'm doing a few of these conversions for a friend.  However, I'm using organic bamboo fleece and they are topped with organic bamboo velour.

I assembled the serged soaker pieces first and then just folded under the serged edges of the PUL flaps, pinned them to the soaker ends, and did a wide straight stitch across the front and back to attach them together.  I figured, this way, she could just use a seam ripper to revert them back to normal undamaged Flips if she ever wanted.  :)

The template for the soakers is on my downloads post: http://prefold2fitted.blogspot.com/2012/10/online-free-downloads.html





That same friend wanted to try a few cloth pads:



10 comments:

  1. I love this! Do you have a pattern for the soaker?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did the person you sewed these for like it? I'm considering doing this with all of my flip covers and ditching the microfiber. Does the velour/fleece stretch out over time? Do you know what type of fabric is in a real elemental? Thanks! LOVE this site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She said she loves them. :) It shouldn't stretch out. They are pretty thick and sturdy fabrics. I don't have a real new style elemental, so I don't know what fabrics they use. I know they are not velour-topped though.

      Delete
  3. I am having the darndest time with this! Do you have photos of how exactly you got the soaker and flap under your presser foot without the feed dogs grabbing the body of the diaper under the needle? I almost ruined my Flip last night and I couldn't figure out how to get the soaker from edge to edge of the flap! It almost seems like I need to rip the flap off of the main body of the diaper and then sew it on again.. But... You didn't have to do that. Halp! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really easy for the first side. You just flip the body outward. For the second side, you just hold the body back behind the needle and go slowly with the soaker part pulled forward and the PUL body back behind. It really isn't difficult if you go slowly. I can try to take some in-progress photos, but that is hard for me to do when doing stuff like this which really takes both hands to work. I don't have anyone else to help me take process photos.

      Delete
  4. Do you think I could use my large sized GMD refolds as the soaker? I've got 12 that I haven't been able to use and over 12 flip covers. I know the size fits the pattern I printed but I was just wondering about fabric compatibility, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My brain is a bit boggled, lol, how many layers of bamboo fleece are used in the inserts? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete