Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easiest Pocket Diaper

On the Babycenter.com "Cloth Diaper Sewing 101" board, we were recently discussing the various ways we all do our pocket diapers.  For gifting and sale, I always use either the double welt or the flap-style these days.  However, back in the old days, I used to do the rear leading-edge pocket style.  One of the mamas there mentioned how she just cuts an opening near the top of the back IF using a no-fray fabric such as microfleece or suedecloth.  This obviously wouldn't work for a wicking jersey or velour inner, but it is for sure a GREAT solution for personal use diapers where you don't care if the inside is especially finished-looking.  It sure doesn't harm function whatsoever.  :)

So...  Below, I will step you through what I'll call the "Slit-Opening Pocket Diaper.  :)

The only pieces you'll need all prepped and ready to go.
Make your slit large enough to easily stuff.  If you're sewing an aplix diaper, then cut in between the two laundry tabs.
Attach faces-in before sewing.

Here is an OS Squaretab all ready to go as well.
Straight stitch about 1/4" in from the edge all the way around the outside.  Then trim off the sharp corners before turning.
Turn through your pocket opening.  I then stitched this one with ruffled legs and back by top-stitching all the way around about 1/8" from all the edges BEFORE sewing my elastic casings.
Here is a close-up view showing the simple pocket opening and the top-stitching.
Then sew your elastic casings along the legs and across the back.


Install your elastics through the pocket opening, and attach your wing snaps (or aplix tabs).
I then used a one-size Bumgenius insert that I added a 4th snap to (to match the rise options in my template).  Cottonbabies.com occasionally has used insert sales where you can snag inserts for about $1 each when bought 4-6 at a time.
Stuffed at full rise.

Both the insert and the diaper set to the second smallest rise.

And the NB-S Squaretab:



11 comments:

  1. do you have a nb-small pattern like this. All i see is nb or os.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The NB Squaretab IS NB-S. :) The Universal NB squaretab is a bit smaller though.

      Delete
    2. ok thank you, it just seemed so much smaller than the babyvilles converted nb to small..so wasnt sure what the weight would be.

      Delete
  2. I have been wanting to do that ruffled edge for a while now, and just couldn't seem to find it demonstrated anywhere. And now I see how simple it is! Almost makes me glad that my sewing machine is in the shop until tomorrow, so I can incorporate this into the NB AIO's I have all prepped and ready for its return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That slit pocket opening seems too easy. Won't it cause runs in the fabric? I have babyville wicking material for the inside. Would that work? What's the easiest pocket opening to make with that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What kind of fabric is the flower printed one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is still PUL (polyurethane laminated polyester knit.)

      Delete
    2. Ok, thanks....thats the only fabric used to make covers? and TPU.....I've seen someone using woven for covers but I don't understand how that works for covers.

      Delete
    3. Ok, thanks....thats the only fabric used to make covers? and TPU.....I've seen someone using woven for covers but I don't understand how that works for covers.

      Delete
  5. I don't see where is says how much elastic to use on legs?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are both fabrics PUL or is the inner something absorbent so the baby has something soft even though a liner is still needed?

    ReplyDelete