Wednesday, February 27, 2013

OS Fold-In Fitted Diaper

My diaper-sewing friends on babycenter.com have been playing around with QSFW-style fitted diapers this week.  So, I decided to do one as well.  :)

Template over an approx. 18.5" square (2 layers of cotton fleece.)
Scraps used for snap-backings.
 
Front and rise snaps added.
 Ready to serge together (serge without the knife to get around the sharp inner curves.)
 Serged all around leaving the front open for adding elastic.  Elastic casings sewn.
Elastics installed, wing snaps added, and front serged closed.
 Flaps folded into wetzone soakers.
Top/outside view.
 Large
Medium
Small
 Back

Templates can be downloaded here: 

Someone asked me how it is that I do the inside curves with my serger.  You just have to drop your cutting knife.  It is a little different on different types of machines, but I'll show how mine lowers.
My knife was VERY sticky the first time I tried to drop it.  I had to push VERY hard and even then it was gunked up and didn't want to turn.  Now it is easy and lubed up a bit.
Open both doors on your serger.
100_3007.JPG
100_3008.JPG
Push HARD on that knob and you'll see the knife push out...
100_3009.JPG
Then, while pushing, rotate it clockwise...
100_3010.JPG
100_3011_002.JPG
When rotated all the way down, it will lock back in like this:
100_3012.JPG
Then you close the doors again and serge with no knife!  :)
100_3013.JPG

13 comments:

  1. I love this!! Would it be possible to do the same idea but with the NB/S fitted pattern (t&t, I don't have a serger...)? Instead of having a separate snap in soaker? not sure how it would actually work as I have no NB yet :) I am about to start my stash if those, maybe I'll play with adding flaps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally feel like sewing the sharp small curves would be more difficult than it is worth for a tiny newborn. A flat wrap/daddy flat would be a better option for a quick-dry folding diaper for a newborn. Otherwise, newborns need very little absorbency, so a regular fitted without the fold-over wings is usually enough to hold the amount of urine that a newborn produces. Just a flap-style soaker sewn to one end or a small snap-in is more than enough if your layering is good. :)

      Delete
  2. would this work as a snapless with fdr ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you will be pinning or if you use a snappiable fabric, then sure. :)

      Delete
  3. This is awesome. I just ran across QSFW and have been thinking of making some. I was just wondering if there were any one size qsfw out there because I HATE sized diapers. My babies never fit standard sizes right, and I had a newborn and a toddler in diapers at the same time, so trying to keep different sizes separate made me crazy until the newborn grew big enough for the larger size. (I started shoving him into the larger size prefolds and covers as soon as possible!) I love your blog. Thanks so much for putting awesome patterns out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like with most OS patterns, I really don't think this would fit any newborn. Especially with the bulk. It is really more of a S, M, & L like my FOE covers are as well.

      Delete
  4. I would like to know how you put your elastic in... I can't really tell by the pictures. Do you happen to know of a video tutorial showing how to do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I leave the front open, sew the elastic casing channels, and then feed the elastic through with a bodkin or safety pin. Most people will just refer to it as "cased elastic." It was a technique I learned as a very little kid when making hair scrunchies. I don't pre-cut my elastic or anything. Just feed one end through, tack it down on the far end, pull to desired stretch, pin in place, tack that other end, and THEN trim. I show the method in several of my other tutorials.

      Delete
  5. So excited to find this blog. I'm due with my first in September but I'm wondering if you have a pattern for the Freestyle type diaper by BumGenius. They're similar to these, but the absorbent layers are sewn into the front and back instead of the sides.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you drop the knife for the entire serging process or just for tight corners?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Question. Do you sew first inside out and then flip it to ass elastic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. Not for a serged diaper, For the turned and top-stitched version to do invert though. http://prefold2fitted.blogspot.com/2013/04/turned-and-top-stitched-fold-in-fitted.html

      Delete