Sunday, November 18, 2012

One-Size Hybrid Fitted



I have been seeing people writing about "hybrid fitteds" a lot lately.  Basically, they are just a fitted with a layer of fairly heavy poly fleece on the outside.  This provides some moisture-proofing because it repels moisture back into the diaper.  It isn't really suitable for an overnight diaper (without a cover which would add even more bulk), or for going out.  However, they make a great option as a sort of semi-AIO (all-in-one) for around the house or playing outside.  Especially for babies who are just wearing a diaper and shirt or diaper and dress during the day.  :)

I used my OS Multiwing Fitted template at the middle wing length for this pictorial.  It could be made turned and topstitched or serged.  I chose to do serged for the sample.

First, choose your fabrics.  You'll need a heavier weight poly fleece like anti-pill or blizzard for your outside layer.  Then I used cotton fleece for the middle and cotton velour for my inside layer.
Cut out your fabrics.
 Mark your rise snaps (and front snaps if doing snap closures).
 Apply those snaps on the top two layers only (and/or front loop strip if doing H&L).

 Pin all of your layers together (in final order for serged, or outside faces facing inward for T&T).
Inside/Underside view.
Serged together on all but the front (for installing elastics).
 Sew your elastic casings.
 Add your snap-in soaker snap (if using a snap-in soaker).


 Install your elastics.
 Serge up the front and do any top-stitching or detail stitching.
Add your wing snaps (or hook and loop on wings).
 
Inside without snap-in soaker.
Velour-topped soaker snapped inside.




32 comments:

  1. Wow. I was wondering what hybrids were exactly.. I keep seeing them. Think I may try to make one after I get my sewing machine fixed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just an FYI, these become too thick on the wings to T&T. Elsewhere is fine, but the three thick layers is just too much for the wings, it gets ridiculous. I cut the wing parts off the middle hidden layer. If it's fleece it doesn't need serging inside. Beautiful sewing! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could this pattern be turned into a regular aio? I have been looking for a pattern that has one row of snaps instead of two for the front closure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually hybrid fitteds have an outer print layer and a hidden fleece layer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is both actually. The combo of the natural fiber inner and a layer of fleece is what dictates the title. Versus a FI2 which doesn't have any natural fiber in the shell. MANY have a cotton outer, but I find those completely worthless. If you just want them for the print, then great. There are so many fleece prints these days though, I just don't bother. It is added bulk for no added protection.

      Delete
  6. what is the size of the soaker? does it absolutely need one?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What length do you suggest for the elastic on this pattern? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it just one layer of each fabric? Does the fleece do a good amount of soaking/absorbing of liquid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poly fleece does NOT absorb liquid at all. It repels. The bamboo and cotton fleeces absorb well. The layering is really up to the maker. I tend to do 2 layers of bamboo fleece in the shell and another few layers in the petal soaker. Then the cotton velour also adds some absorbency, but not a lot. You could use cotton terry, cotton interlock, hemp, cotton flannel... etc. ANY combination or layering of absorbent fabrics to achieve the total desired absorbency.

      Delete
  9. Great tutorial, thanks! I don't have a serger so it is T&T for me. I normally do elastic by tacking it down, turning the diaper, and then sewing the casing once it is turned. How are you getting your elastic in? Are you threading it through with a safety pin or something? Just curious, but if I am doing T&T it may be easier to do the elastic the way I am used to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://prefold2fitted.blogspot.com/2013/05/installing-cased-elastic.html

      Delete
  10. Can I use this tutorial to make a cover?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Help, I must have done something wrong.. my diaper turned out way too small :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cant download the template. It says unavailable please help me!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, how many layers of each fabric? Could I add in a layer of zorb??

      Delete
  13. For the shell part, do you do 1 layer of bamboo fleece then another of the velour, or 2 of the bamboo fleece?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I am new to CDing and I just used your OS squaretab pattern to make a stash of pocket diapers for my son. I love them but I have realized they are not a great nighttime option. I was thinking of using this pattern to make a couple fitteds with cotton and/or bamboo fleece (leaving out the antipill layer and using a cover of course). Do you think that might be a good solution and do you have any recommendations on how many layers of fleece to use?? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi
    If I'm going to T&T do I need to add a seam allowance?
    Thanks
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. It is accounted for in my templates.

      Delete
    2. Is the second outer line in the pattern meant for sewing all around before turning the diaper and make elastic tunnel? In T&T I mean..

      Delete
    3. The furthest out line is the cutting line. The next line in is the turned border. So, you'd sew between those two before turning for a T&T diaper. :) Then sew your elastic casing channels after turning.

      Delete
  16. Could I do the inner layer in minky for a stay dry layer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or could I add a layer.. So from outside in fleece, two layers of bamboo terry, one layer minky? Or would this be too thick?
      Thank you!

      Delete
    2. It would indeed be VERY thick. As for minky for a stay-dry inner layer, you'll have to test your minky fabric to be sure it wicks easily. Some minky wicks, and some repels.

      Delete
  17. Being that this has both a wicking fabric inside and a more repelling fabric on the outer, should I refrain from using softeners to encourage repelling with the anti pill fleece? I would hate to encourage repelling but then take away the wicking abilities of the inner fabric

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi there, can you please explain where I can find the pattern above?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3ZS8fH9BssYMUVtWmk3T0pmYkE/edit?pli=1

      Delete