Monday, February 20, 2012

Ruffled Leg and Back Fitted Template

I tried sewing up yesterday's fitted template into a ruffled back and leg T&T fitted and it didn't work out quite how I liked, so I made a few changes to make this one more ideal for that style of fitted diaper. :)

Basically, after you turn the diaper right-side-in (leaving the front open), top-stitch around all but the front of the diaper, and THEN sew your elastic casing channels. Then, when done with the elastic, tuck in the front and close it up with a seam that is the same distance from the edges as your existing top-stitching.


Below are photos of a turned and topstitched version and a serged version (both with cased elastic) of this fitted template/pattern.
T&T:

Serged:

9 comments:

  1. I know you're always up for a challenge. Any chance you have a template for a FDR on the long wing fitted?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What length of elastic should be used on the legs and back for this size? I used one of your size small patterns to make a t-shirt fitted and Love it, but I had a GMD Workhorse in size small to eyeball, and I'm of course hoping not to need the larges sizes of those now that I know I can make fitteds and not screw up the cotton-hemp fleece I bought :) Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot find this pattern in your PDF links?? Am I missing it somehow? This pattern would be perfect for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry, I may not have looked hard enough, but I feel like I am missing something. Why are there two rows of snaps at the center front. I understand one row is for the tabs, but what about the other row?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One row faces in and the other out. That is the way a fold over rise works. When it is folded down to a lower rise, you use the inner-facing snaps to affix the tabs. When it is at full rise, you don't fold it and use the outer.

      Delete
  5. What is the difference between this and a tshirt fitted diaper? I'm trying to find the best solution for my 14 mo. heavy wetter. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is just a template for the SHAPE of the diaper. The layers and materials you use is what would matter for how heavy of a wetter she is. I always preferred a prefitted diaper with an added bamboo insert for overnights with my daughter when she was a toddler and really needed a good night solution. A wool cover or fleece over a PUL cover were my favorites with her night fitteds.

      Delete
  6. How exactly do the snaps work? Like which color is what? female or male side? Sorry, new to snaps and could really use some help

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to use this pattern for the fitted, would this pattern work for a pul cover or would I need to make that slightly bigger? I have a heavy wetter at nights so the material I use for the fitted will be pretty thick so I need to make sure the cover will fit around it.

    ReplyDelete