Monday, March 30, 2015

How I sew up a Katrina's Soaker

I posted a VIDEO tutorial for this on my YouTube channel!


 I have seen many methods for assembling Katrina's soaker covers.
These are my favorite ways to do them.

Cut out your polyester fleece or your wool to the pattern templates.
**You can keep the waist band in one long piece, or you can cut the waist band in half length-wise and sew in to the front and back separately.

For very thin wool, I do 2 full body layers rather than the wetzone contour.

 Pin your wet-zone layer onto your body layer.
 Zig-zag stitch around the edge of the wet-zone layer fabric.

 Now, with the outside up, place your folded leg fabric folded (where the leg holes will be.)
 You can now either serge or zig-zag stitch it to the body.  Pull only the leg cuff piece as you sew.
 Repeat on the other side.
 Fold the front up to the back.  Inside facing outward. Pin or clip the sides.
 Serge or zig-zag the sides together.

 Now fold and sew or serge your waistband.
 Fold down so the seams are hidden inside.
 I like to roughly align my seam with the middle of the back.

 Serge or zig-zag the waistband to the body.
OR, do the waist band in two segments:

 Now just serge or zig-zag it all the way up the sides.
 A yarn needle is your friend for dealing with serger tails!

 Tails trimmed.
 Ta-Da!

5 comments:

  1. What kind of wool was that? Where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting your tutorial. I made my first soaker today using polar fleece, and it came out great! I don't have a serger yet, so I did everything with a zig-zag stitch. I haven't sewn since taking home ec. in middle school (about 23 years ago), and I was surprised at how quickly it all came back. The only thing I had a little trouble with was sewing on the waist. I think the next time I attempt this, I'll sew the waist on in 2 separate pieces instead of attempting to sew it in one piece. Otherwise, I'm very pleased!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where do you see which size you need to use for a toddler, boy size 21kg. XL or XXL?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does not say what size you would need but I use a size XL for my 35 lb, 2.5 year old boy.

      Delete